Did You Know:
- Honey bees' wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz.
- A Honey bee flies 15 M.P.H.
- During the summer, the typical honey bee colony contains between 40,000 to 70,000 bees.
- A Honey bee has 5 eyes, two of which are compound and three simple eyes.
- Secreted from glands, beeswax is used by the honeybee to build honey comb. It is used by humans in drugs, cosmetics, artists' materials, furniture polish and candles.
- Honey bees are not aggressive by nature, and will not sting unless protecting their hive from an intruder or are unduly provoked.
- Worker bees cooperate to find food and use a pattern of "dancing" (known as the waggle dance) to communicate information regarding resources with each other.